Supporting Single-Pair Ethernet over 400 m of Category-Style Four-Pair Copper Cabling
Many of the more than 50 billion IoT/IIoTdevices expected to be connected to networks by 2025 will be low-speed operational technology (OT) devices, such as meters, sensors, actuators, and remote controllers. Traditional 4-pair Ethernet connectivity
used for networking devices like wireless access points and surveillance cameras is cost-prohibitive for these OT device connections. Single-pair Ethernet (SPE) supporting 10 Mb/s transmission over balanced single-pair cabling delivers reliable power
and data to these devices that support a wide range of building control applications.
A Proven Standards-Based Solution for Single-Pair Ethernet
Siemon’s fully-shielded TERA cabling system lends itself well to SPE deployments due to its isolated quadrant contact connector design that has long supported standards-based cable sharing where multiple lower-speed applications run over different pairs of a 4-pair cable using either one 4-pair cord, four 1-pair cords or two 2-pair cords.
Verified to easily support 10BASE-T1L SPE applications over distances of up to 400 meters (1300 feet), Siemon’s fully-shielded TERA SPE cabling system exceeds the requirements specified in IEEE 802.3cg SPE standards by impressive margins. TERA SPE channels also exhibit substantial headroom above the draft performance requirements specified in the developing ISO/IEC 11801-1 Amendment 1 and ANSI/TIA-568.5 SPE standards—all with the following benefits:
- Reduced material and pathway cost via 1-pair technology and extended reach
- Cost-effective dc remote power delivery to end devices with a current carrying capacity up to 2 Amps per conductor and support for IEEE 802.3 power over data lines (PoDL).
- Superior noise immunity, virtually zero emissions, and transmission headroom for guaranteed support of SPE equipment and applications without the need for field testing
- Excellent mechanical reliability in high temperature environments up to 75°C (167°F)
- Compatibility with traditional 4-pair cabling to provide a common networking platform for IT/OT convergence and enable leveraging existing TERA infrastructure for SPE, as well as for 2- and 4-pair 10/100/1000 Mb/s and 10 Gb/s Ethernet applications
- Ability to connect 10 Mb/s IIoT devices with non-proprietary category-style cabling, making it an attractive alternative to traditional OT communication protocols
- Compatible with either 1-pair screw terminal or 1-pair pluggable interface connections for scalable support of both legacy building control and industrial bus applications and evolving SPE applications