Recommended Cabling Practices
- Terminate each horizontal cable on a dedicated telecommunications outlet.
- Locate the main cross-connect near the center of the building to limit cable distances.
- Maintain the twist of horizontal and backbone cable pairs up to the point of termination.
- Tie and dress horizontal cables neatly and with a minimum bend radius of 4 times the cable diameter.
- Use hook and loop tie wraps.
- Do not use connecting hardware that is of a lower category than the cable being used.
- Do not create multiple appearances of the same cable at several distribution points (called bridged taps).
- Do not over-tighten cable ties, use staples, or make sharp bends with cables.
- Do not place cable near equipment that may generate high levels of electromagnetic interference.