For Immediate Release
Siemon Announces North American "LightBow™ Madness" Fiber Termination Contest Finalists
5 Installers posting the fastest LightBow fiber termination times from each of Siemon's North American territories set to compete in the "Final 5 Showdown" at BICSI Las Vegas on September 26, 2017.
August 10, 2017. Watertown, CT - Siemon, a leading global network infrastructure specialist, today announced the North American finalists for its LightBow Madness fiber termination contest. This contest challenged cabling contractors to test their skills against fellow cabling pros to see who could perform the fastest LC fiber connector field termination using Siemon's new LightBow Fiber Termination System. The contest asked contractors to submit videos of their fastest LightBow termination, offering the chance to compete for over $10,000 in prizes - including a free trip to Las Vegas for the top competitors from each of Siemon's 5 North American territories.
The fastest overall termination, submitted by Blake Graff, a Senior Technician from SMC Infrastructure Solutions in Tracy's Landing, MD, set a new LightBow world record of just 15.92 seconds - an amazing effort that surpassed all Siemon expectations. Graff's actual video entry may be viewed at: http://www.siemon.com/us/contractors/march-madness/standings.asp.
"Blake's video left us speechless," explained Andy Reynolds, Siemon's Manager of Channel Development. "We knew that LightBow was the fastest mechanical splice fiber termination system on the market, but none of the Siemon judges, myself included, thought that anyone would break the 20 second mark, let alone beat it by nearly 5 seconds."
Graff's 15.92 second record time incorporated all termination steps, including fiber cable strip, clean, and cleave. This fact, added Reynolds, coupled with his relative lack of familiarity with the new LightBow fiber termination system, makes Graff's feat even more impressive.
"He hadn't even used LightBow in the field prior to the competition," explained Reynolds. "He just did a few practice terminations before recording his entry. Clearly, Blake's an excellent fiber tech to begin with, but if he can set such an incredible benchmark with less than an hour of practice, I wonder how fast LightBow can be once pros like Blake have done a few hundred terminations on the jobsite."
"Even more importantly, you have to wonder how much this kind of speed could improve an installer company's efficiency and profitability if all of their techs were using LightBow for fiber terminations."
Graff described how he was able to record such an impressive termination time with LightBow. "I am very familiar with fiber terminations in general and have used several different mechanical splice systems in the past," Graff explained. "I was actually skeptical that a system I hadn't used before could match up to products I've been using for years. But, the LightBow system just made it so easy and intuitive. After one practice termination, it felt like something I'd done thousands of times before."
Graff credits LightBow's intuitive feel to Siemon's focus on installer-friendly innovations: " They kept it simple and didn't overcomplicate things. They made some common-sense tweaks to the fiber preparations steps without getting away from what installers are familiar and comfortable with. The big changes are in the actual termination tool. They simplified everything - no unnecessary steps, nothing you need a microscope to do right. That's really why it is so fast. Installers can actually go fast without worrying that they'll mess it up."
While Graff holds the current world record, he will defend his title at the 2017 BICSI Fall Conference in Las Vegas. He will face the following regional LightBow Madness finalists in a head-to-head, live competition at the Final 5 Showdown on September 26, 2017:
- Northeast Region: Blake Graff, SMC Infrastructure Solutions - 15.92 Seconds
- West Region: Juan Hurtado, Genesys Solutions - 17.82 seconds
- Southeast Region: Juan Toscano, I2 Solutions - 18.84 seconds
- Central Region: Doug Corson, Wired Communications - 25.52 seconds
- Southwest Region: Brad Davis, IES Commercial - 27.03 seconds
- See all of the Final 5 termination videos
For more info on the LightBow Madness Final 5 Showdown in Las Vegas, visit: http://www.siemon.com/us/contractors/march-madness/
To learn more about Siemon's innovative LightBow Fiber Termination System, including a limited time free toolkit promotion, visit: http://www.siemon.com/lightbow/
- About Siemon
- Established in 1903, Siemon is an industry leader specializing in the design and manufacture of high quality, high performance IT infrastructure solutions and services for Data Centers, LANs and Intelligent Buildings. Headquartered in Connecticut, USA, with global sales, technical and logistics expertise spanning 100 countries, Siemon offers the most comprehensive suites of copper and optical fiber cabling systems, cabinets, racks, cable management, data center power and cooling systems and Intelligent Infrastructure Management solutions. With more than 400 patents specific to structured cabling, Siemon Labs invests heavily in R&D and the development of Industry Standards, underlining the company's long-standing commitment to its customers and the industry. Through an ongoing commitment to waste and energy reduction, Siemon's environmental sustainability benchmarks are unparalleled in the industry, including 179% global carbon negativity and zero-landfill status
- Siemon Interconnect Solutions (SIS) is a Siemon business unit comprised of a team of dedicated technical sales professionals supported by Siemon Labs, mechanical, electrical and signal integrity engineers committed to solving industry and customer driven interconnect challenges. We provide custom network infrastructure solutions to: OEM's, Leading Manufacturers, Value-Added Resellers and System Integrators.
- Press Contact:
- Robert Carlson
- VP Global Marketing
- 101 Siemon Company Drive
- Watertown, CT 06795
- Phone : (1) 860 945-4262
- Fax : (1) 860 945-8503