For Immediate Release - September 22, 2014
Siemon Announces MAX TurboTool Challenge Winner
18-Second Category 6 MAX termination beats previous world record by over 6 seconds.
Watertown, CT - Siemon, a leading global network infrastructure specialist, today announced the US winner for round 2 of its MAX TurboTool Termination Challenge. This online contest challenged cabling contractors to test their skills against fellow cabling pros to see who could perform the fastest Category 6 UTP MAX outlet termination using Siemon's MAX TurboTool. The contest asked contractors to send Siemon a video of their fastest TurboTool termination, offering $1000 to the top performer with an additional $500 bonus if the winning entry beat the previous 24.18-second world record held by Alberto Luna.
The fastest termination, submitted by John Crawford, a Low Voltage Tech from HITECH Communications in Robins, Iowa, came in at 18 seconds flat - an amazing effort that surpassed all Siemon expectations. John's actual video entry may be viewed at: www.siemon.com/maxturbotool.
"John's video blew us away," explained Brian Duval, Siemon's Channel Marketing Manager. "All of the Siemon judges, myself included, didn't think the previous MAX record of 24.18 seconds would be beaten at all, let alone beaten by over 6 seconds."
According to Duval, Crawford's record 18-second termination was made even more impressive considering his relative lack of familiarity with the Siemon TurboTool.
"It is not as if John was some sort of 'ringer'," noted Duval. "In fact, he only had the tool for a couple of days before he sent us his video. If John can set an 18-second termination benchmark with just a few hours of practice, you have to wonder how fast other cabling installers might be after a full day's worth of TurboTool terminations on the jobsite.
"Even more importantly, you have to wonder how much this kind of speed could improve an installer company's efficiency and profitability if all of their techs were using the TurboTool."
Crawford explained how he was able to record such an impressive termination time with the TurboTool. "I have used other manufacturers' so called 'punchless' termination tools in the past," John explained. " You either have to use two hands to squeeze them or you have to thread each pair through a hole in the jack to get them into position. They eliminate the punchdown tool, but they don't really speed up the process. With the MAX TurboTool, I laced the conductors into the jack like I've done thousands of times in the past - the only difference was putting the jack in the tool and giving it a squeeze.
"Siemon didn't change the cable prep and wire placement steps that we're all so familiar and comfortable with - they improved the 'punchdown' process at the end of the termination. That's where the speed is improved. This tool will work great for doing rows and rows of cubical furniture."
Siemon also extends its thanks to all of the MAX TurboTool Challenge participants and would like to express special recognition to the following entrants. While they were narrowly defeated, their times all bested the previous "unbeatable" record of 24.18 seconds.
- 18.9 Seconds - Timothy Clark of Trident Technology Solutions, Morrisville, NC
- 19.8 Seconds - Curtis Shawn Repp of Envision Technologies, Lenexa KS.
- 20.7 Seconds - Clifton Terrett of Global Com, Inc., Harpers Ferry, WV
Developed specifically for contractors and cabling professionals, the new MAX TurboTool significantly reduces termination times for Siemon category 5e and 6 UTP MAX outlets. Unlike traditional single conductor punchdown tools, the MAX TurboTool seats and cuts all eight cable conductors simultaneously, allowing a four-pair MAX UTP outlet to be terminated in a single action for increased productivity and reduced hand fatigue.
For more information on Siemon's innovative, time saving MAX TurboTool, including how you can get a free tool, please visit: www.siemon.com/maxturbotool.
- About Siemon
- Established in 1903, Siemon is an industry leader specializing in the design and manufacture of high quality, high performance low voltage infrastructure solutions and services for Data Centers, LANs and Intelligent Buildings. Headquartered in Connecticut, USA, with global sales, technical and logistics expertise spanning over 100 countries, Siemon offers the most comprehensive suite of copper and optical fiber cabling systems, cabinets, racks, cable management, data center power and cooling systems and Intelligent Infrastructure Management solutions. With over 400 patents specific to structured cabling, Siemon Labs invests heavily in R&D and the development of Industry Standards, underlining the company's long-standing commitment to its customers and the industry.
- Siemon Interconnect Solutions (SIS) is a Siemon business unit comprised of a team of dedicated technical sales professionals supported by Siemon Labs, mechanical, electrical and signal integrity engineers committed to solving industry and customer driven interconnect challenges. We provide custom network infrastructure solutions to: OEM's, Leading Manufacturers, Value-Added Resellers and System Integrators.
- Press Contact:
- Robert Carlson
- VP Global Marketing
- 101 Siemon Company Drive
- Watertown, CT 06795
- Phone : (1) 860 945-4262
- Fax : (1) 860 945-8503