Inside Siemon: Celebrating 110 Years of Leadership and U.S. Manufacturing
Siemon Celebrates 110 Years of Leadership and U.S. Manufacturing
Founded in 1903 in Connecticut on the strength of founder Carl F. Siemon's hardened plastic compounds and pioneering telecommunications technologies, the company has reached new heights through its ongoing product innovation and commitment to delivering superior service. And when many network connectivity providers have transitioned to overseas manufacturing operations, Siemon has kept the roots of its manufacturing excellence right here at home.
Located in Watertown, Connecticut, Siemon's Global Manufacturing Headquarters was among the first manufacturers of its kind to achieve ISO:9001 and ISO:14001 certification, underscoring the company's commitment to product quality and environmental stewardship. The U.S. facility's advanced metal stamping, tooling, injection molding and sheet metal forming capabilities create the components that feed its highly-automated assembly operation. That, combined with an industry-leading R&D lab and engineering team that utilizes cutting-edge technologies such as 3D printing for rapid prototyping, allows the company to take their products from new ideas to finished goods, right onsite. Siemon manufactures a broad range of fiber and copper network connectivity and cable management products under their strict quality standards and process controls - a capability that produces the highest product quality, performance and consistency.
Siemon has a local presence in 38 countries, including a global network of certified installers, distributors and logistic centers servicing customers in over 100 countries, all backed by a worldwide team of technical and sales support experts In recent years, the company has reinforced its emphasis on supporting channel partners and customers with new capabilities and services such as dedicated inside sales representatives; the Standards Informant website to deliver up-to-date information on industry standards; and the online Contractor Pitstop resource, which provides news and information focused on helping Siemon's contractor partners grow their businesses.
As part of its commitment to industry advancement, Siemon remains actively involved with industry associations and standards organizations around the world, including key leadership roles in TIA, ISO/IEC and IEEE. Siemon has also succeeded in enhancing value-added services through complementary partnerships and proactive marketing relationships, including becoming a Cisco Technology Developer Partner and Tier 1 IBM Business Partner.
After 110 years, Siemon's unique family culture, product innovation, U.S. manufacturing and commitment to continuous improvement remain stronger than ever. The company's latest copper and fiber innovations offer key performance and installation differentiators for the Data Center, LAN and Intelligent Building alike. Following are just some of Siemon's product development milestones:
- Z-MAX® 6A shielded and UTP solution with the highest category 6A/class EA margins and fastest termination time
- TERA® fully-shielded solution that offers the highest twisted-pair copper cabling performance available
- Pre-terminated MTP Fiber Plug and Play assemblies for 10, 40 and 100Gbs applications
- BladePatch® LC fiber jumpers that revolutionize high-density patching with a patented push-pull boot design
- VersaPOD® Data Center cabinet with Zero-U patching and cable management for improved air flow and efficiency
- Feature-rich V600 Cabinet for lightweight stability, accessibility and superior airflow
- XLR8® fiber termination kit that offers fast, reliable, high-performance field terminations in half the time
- Innovative Intelligent Power Distribution Units (PDUs) with real-time monitoring for maximizing uptime
- MapIT® G2 infrastructure management with enhanced connectivity tracking and complete intelligent visibility
- Full offering of interoperable high speed interconnect assemblies for point-to-point applications
One of Siemon's greatest achievements is its ongoing commitment to protecting and preserving the environment. Siemon is proud to now be 179% carbon negative across its entire operations with zero-landfill status-all made possible through the use of lean solar energy, 99% waste elimination initiatives, employee incentives and its award-winning sustainable 3,000-acre Branch Hill Tree Farm. As part of that commitment, Siemon continues to develop energy-efficient data center solutions and ConvergeIT Intelligent Building systems for improved efficiency and sustainability across a variety of markets and applications.
As it celebrates 110 years of U.S. manufacturing as a five generation family-owned and operated business, the Siemon family is proud of the world-wide Siemon team's unwavering support and dedication. Join Siemon in celebrating its 20th century values, 21st century vision and longstanding "Made in the U.S.A." commitment.
Siemon U.S. Manufacturing In Line with Recent Gallup® Poll and Government Incentives
Siemon is pleased to announce that a recent Gallup poll reinforces the importance of the company's ongoing 110-year commitment to U.S. manufacturing.
The Gallup survey shows that nearly half of all Americans are now making a special effort to buy U.S.-made products, and 64% are willing to pay more for a U.S.-made product, citing patriotism, economy and jobs as their top reasons. Government initiatives also call for U.S.-made products for any government or military projects, as well as for projects funded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), which includes a Buy American provision under section 1605.
Siemon continues to invest in U.S. manufacturing for its core product lines as outlined in a new corporate video. With superior metal stamping, tooling, injection molding and sheet metal forming capabilities, Siemon's ISO:14001 and ISO:9001 certified dynamic manufacturing division in Watertown, Connecticut produces a broad range of leading copper and fiber network connectivity, including millions of Siemon MAX and Z-MAX copper outlets that feature the industry's fastest, easiest and most reliable termination.
John Siemon on Siemon Manufacturing
- "While others in our industry have moved their manufacturing overseas, we are committed to continually investing in our U.S. manufacturing capabilities, just as we have for more than 110 years," says John Siemon, V.P. of Global Operations and Chief Technology Officer for Siemon. "We have deep roots here in Connecticut and our founding principles of quality, service, innovation and value are part of our corporate culture-it shows in the quality and performance of every product we deliver."
The Importance of American Made
- "While international trade is important to our economy, I feel more confident in purchasing American made products-with a network cabling infrastructure, there is no room for error," says Stephen Mason, Telecom and Transport Project Manager for Lee County, Florida. "When it comes to reliability and longevity, I believe U.S.-made product quality is second to none and lead times are decreased, all of which add up to improved productivity, efficiency and happy customers."
- Related Case Study: Shielded from Disaster - Advanced Cabling Solutions Enhance Emergency Operations in Lee County, Florida »Read
In addition to U.S. manufacturing, Siemon is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and is the first to earn ISO:14001 environmental certification in the industry. Through innovative waste and energy reduction initiatives, the company's U.S. operations are now more than 330% carbon negative, making Siemon the greenest and only carbon negative manufacturer in the industry.