For Immediate Release - September 29, 2010
Siemon Optical Fiber Cabling and High Speed Interconnect Solutions Support the Newly Ratified IEEE 802.3ba 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s Ethernet Standard
Watertown, CT — The recently ratified IEEE 802.3ba Standard specifies 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s Ethernet applications for deployment over optical fiber cabling and high speed interconnect assemblies. Siemon supports the newly ratified 802.3ba Standard with a comprehensive product offering consisting of:
- 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s support of up to 100 meters over Siemon's XGLO® OM3 multimode optical fiber and MTP connectivity in short reach mode
- 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s support of up to 150 meters over Siemon's XGLO OM4 multimode optical fiber and MTP connectivity in short reach mode
- 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s support of up to 10 kilometers over Siemon's XGLO® singlemode optical fiber and LC connectivity in long reach mode
- 100 Gb/s support of up to 40 kilometers over Siemon's XGLO singlemode optical fiber and LC connectivity in extended reach mode
- 40 Gb/s support of up to 5 meters over Siemon's QSFP+ passive copper high speed interconnect assemblies
- 40 Gb/s support of up to 4 kilometers over Siemon's Moray™ QSFP+ active optical cable assemblies
"Siemon has always been on the cutting edge with our twisted-pair and optical fiber cabling solutions and our new high speed interconnect technology enables us to support Ethernet deployment across the entire breadth of possible data center configurations," explains John Siemon, Chief Technology Officer of The Siemon Company. "The decision to develop high speed interconnect solutions was based on global market drivers and technical studies that clearly demonstrate increased adoption of direct connections between servers and switches located in the same rack or in adjacent racks. By extending our family of cabling products, we are able to support both traditional structured cabling as well as factory pre-configured unified architecture deployments to meet our customer's data center needs."
While the current 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s copper deployments are limited to short length twinaxial cable assemblies, this emerging technology is anticipated to drive advancements related to the support of next generation Ethernet applications over twisted-pair cabling.
"Unfortunately, some manufacturers are taking advantage of the lack of information regarding the IEEE 802.3ba standard by making claims regarding support of 40 Gb/s applications with twisted-pair cabling," says Robert Carlson, Siemon's VP of Global Marketing. "In the absence of a call-for-interest by IEEE, application support claims cannot be verified. Any such claims are misleading."
Until objectives for a new Ethernet project are adopted, assessing headroom to published standards and selecting products with stable transmission performance at extended bandwidths is the only way to differentiate performance capability between manufacturers.
Based on its industry leading performance and bandwidth capability, Carlson notes that Siemon's TERA® category 7A cabling system is ideally prepared to support applications beyond 10GBASE-T. TERA systems provide performance up to at least 1.2 GHz, deliver guaranteed transmission headroom for improved signal-to-noise margin and have been deployed globally for more than a decade.
For more information on Siemon's comprehensive line of 10 Gb/s, 40 Gb/s, and 100 Gb/s-ready solutions, including category 6A UTP, category 6A shielded, category 7A S/FTP (fully-shielded), laser-optimized multimode and low water peak singlemode optical fiber, visit www.siemon.com. Information on Siemon's QSFP+ and passive copper cable assemblies and Moray QSFP+ active optical cable assembly products can be found at www.siemon.com/sis .
Learn more about Siemon's high-speed interconnect products at: www.siemon.com/sis
Follow Siemon Interconnect Solutions on Twitter: http://twitter.com/siemonis/
Join Siemon on Facebook: http://www.siemon.com/go/facebook
Read our blog at www.siemon.com/sis/blog
- About Siemon
- Established in 1903, Siemon is an industry leader specializing in the design and manufacture of high quality, high performance IT infrastructure solutions and services for Data Centers, LANs and Intelligent Buildings. Headquartered in Connecticut, USA, with global sales, technical and logistics expertise spanning 100 countries, Siemon offers the most comprehensive suites of copper and optical fiber cabling systems, cabinets, racks, cable management, data center power and cooling systems and Intelligent Infrastructure Management solutions. With more than 400 patents specific to structured cabling, Siemon Labs invests heavily in R&D and the development of Industry Standards, underlining the company's long-standing commitment to its customers and the industry. Through an ongoing commitment to waste and energy reduction, Siemon's environmental sustainability benchmarks are unparalleled in the industry, including 179% global carbon negativity and zero-landfill status
- Siemon Interconnect Solutions (SIS) is a Siemon business unit comprised of a team of dedicated technical sales professionals supported by Siemon Labs, mechanical, electrical and signal integrity engineers committed to solving industry and customer driven interconnect challenges. We provide custom network infrastructure solutions to: OEM's, Leading Manufacturers, Value-Added Resellers and System Integrators.
*IEEE 802.3ba is a trademark of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Press Contact:
- Betsy Conroy
- (860) 945-4200